Sunday, July 17, 2011

Let's Talk about Something GOOD.

There are several reasons for this post.  The first being the fact that I need to think of something pleasant.  Something tasty and yummy and appealing.  I just got done posting about something I really hate so this is to sort of "clean the palate" so to speak.  What better thing than brownies?  (I am also still trying to separate the association of worms and brownies.  But now I have given a spoiler about the post below this.)

The other reason, the REAL reason is that I am trying to cook with  my kids more. I want them to be able to cook when they are older and I also want them to have enough kitchen experience that they won't be afraid to try new things. I think that the most important thing about doing new things and developing new skills is having the perseverance to keep trying and to not give up if things don't quite work out. I think having a little experience and having both successes and failures helps you gain confidence to try.  And if it doesn't work out, well SO WHAT right?

I made a new job chart for my kids because this summer vacation I decided that I am not going to be the (only) slave around here.  The kids make about 90% of the messes and I want them to help keep things clean(ish).  (And, of course, I have to TEACH them to work DANGIT!)  So when I was making my job chart I decided to add: "Assistant Chef" to the chart.  The jobs all rotate every week and my kids each have a turn to do each job.  Surprisingly they have REALLY liked the job chart even though they have more responsibilities.  It helps them know which jobs are theirs and they can do their job and be done.  And they have all LOVED to be the assistant chef.  They ask me just about every day if there is anything they can help me cook.  So, it is good kitchen experience time, and it is also some really great 1 on 1 time that I can spend with my kids because it is HARD to do that as much as I should.
Brownies before and after baking.  And eating.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like that you named it assistant chef! I have a (according to my kids) way-tot-long job chart for the summer as well, but I hadn't thought to add that one.

Michelle said...

Do those brownies have marshmellows in them?? Those look amazing! And what a great idea to have an assistant chef!