Saturday, January 14, 2012

Crafty Thrifty

My big girls got new sheet/comforter/bedskirt sets for Christmas.  The sheets were zebra striped and the comforters were reversible with zebra on one side and pink leopard on the other side.   When they opened the packages on Christmas morning we saw that the comforter sets came in a zipper bag that was made out of the same fabric as the comforter.  Of course I saw it and thought that there must be something cool we could do with the fabric that the bags were made of.  Then I thought of curtains and decided to make some.   I put the bags on the table in my sewing room and they sat there for 3 weeks.  Today I was cleaning up the reproducing mess in my sewing room and decided then and there to get those curtains done.  So here they are.  Just a simple window valance.  The stripe at the top is the rod pocket which was made from the handles of the bags. 

I wasn't really planning on blogging about this, but making something from nothing gave me such warm fuzzies, I had to.  I felt like the queen of thrift, taking something that I was just going to throw away and turning it into perfectly matching curtains.  (Patting myself on the back.)

.
If I would have been planning on blogging about this I would have taken pictures of the bags BEFORE I cut them to pieces.  But I didn't. So here is what was left after I made the curtains.

And then, if THAT wasn't enough, I used some of the scraps to make some cute twisty circle clips for my kids.  Its been a good crafty thrifty day.


1 comment:

Team Furnival said...

I am impressed. And my kids would be jealous. THey are suddenly lusting after anything "zebra". I need to learn how to make those hair clips.