Sunday, October 25, 2015

Elvin Costumes

My kids are pretty low key when it comes to costumes, usually.  This year someone told Emilia she should be the new Cinderella for Halloween since she looked like her.  So she asked me if she could be Cinderella.  We talked about it. Then I told her if I was going to make something that was this elaborate I'd rather have her wear it somewhere besides OUTSIDE in the DARK and in the dirt at the trunk-or-treat.  In other words, I didn't want to go to great lengths to make a fancy dress that was going to be destroyed.



So then she thought it would be fun to wear Cinderella's peasant dress.  More reasonable, I thought, only I couldn't find an actual pattern for that style of bodice, and I told her I could do something similar.


Then came the idea of being an elf.  This I could do.


Then Elise jumped on the elf wagon and decided she wanted to be an elf too.  (Only she wants to wear war paint, that was the "thing" she wanted all along. War paint.)

So for the last 2 Saturdays I have been creating elf costumes.  We still need to put the whole ensemble together, but the main parts are done.  Still trying to find a solution for pointy ears.  The cheap ones on Amazon have to come from China and they won't make it on time.  (Funny how patterns do not ever turn out the way they look on the pattern package.  It is so bad in fact that I won't even buy patterns that don't have an actual photo on them.  Because the drawings REALLY never look the same as the actual product. When I look at the photo I can see that if it looks bad when the professionals make it, then I'm just not even touching it.  And some patterns just do.)



No comments: