Sunday, June 26, 2016
Empathy Training
So, after I posted my "True Story" post I thought (and hoped) that the story would end and I could say "happily ever after" etc. Unfortunately I got another UTI and they identified the bacteria this time: Klebsiella Pneumonae. So apparently this is a bacteria that isn't super common to get, and usually it's found in older individuals who have been in the hospital. They get pneumonia from it and die. It's pretty antibiotic resistant, and hard to kill (thanks to its capsule, aka slime layer. I actually know that this means now.) They tested the one I had and the tests indicated that it should die if I took Augmentin. So I took it. And it didn't die. My dr. had told me that if it didn't die I would probably have to have IV antibiotics and a PICC line (which I spent too many hours fretting about). I have decided that even though I am not in school right now, I am getting some important education for nursing school. It's called "empathy training". I hope the semester will end soon. Aaaanyway, my dr. thought something could be going on with my renal system, since this bacteria shouldn't have even really been there in the first place. And I keep having RBCs in my urine. So I had to get an x-ray that was supposed to show whether I have kidney stones. No stones. Next, I was referred to a urologist (because, who can complete a course in empathy training without a visit or two to the urologist? I mean, I've already experienced the OBGYN..) The Uro ordered a ct scan, which was supposed to look for cysts or obstructions. Scan came back, no cysts (although I do have some strange scarring in my left lung. Who knew?) The next thing could be the final exam of the empathy training: The cystoscope. I'm not even gonna talk about that. Suffice it to say that they are going to look inside my bladder to see if there is something that is causing me to have hematuria (blood in the urine). Of course, I am no longer fretting about the PICC line (the Uro said that we have a couple more oral antibiotics we can still try). Now I am just fretting about what they might find in my bladder. Trying not to worry about the "C" word. It's probably not that. I just hope they can find it and get it taken care of. I'm so over it. It's all about the empathy people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment