Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve Cheese


One of our favorite Christmas/New Year's traditions is our annual cheese party. We do it every year sometime between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. It started the first or second year after we were married when Kent had a party where they sampled different cheeses. We talked about how fun it was to taste different kinds of fancy cheeses and our tradition was born. Each year we feature a new kind of cheese and we basically eat a bunch of appetizers for dinner. And we gorge ourselves on cheese. Over the years we have tried: Munster, Gouda, Edam, Myzythra, Butterkase, Bleu, Havarti and Gruyere. This year the featured cheese was Gorgonzola. I picked Gorgonzola because found a recipe for Candied Walnut Salad from one of my favorite blogs (http://www.ourbestbites.com/) that had G cheese in it. I have to admit that I kind of have a hard time eating something that contains visable mold. I have learned though that Gorgonzola cheese is LESS moldy than bleu cheese. And that the mold in G cheese is actually greener than the mold in bleu cheese, which actually is blue. I also learned from Wikipedia that Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus are added to G cheese to make the mold ribbons. They also add penicillin. Weird. Next year we have decided to do fondue. No mold. Just cheese.

5 comments:

Nat Lud said...

Wow that's a new one! Sounds super yummy! I love me some cheese. Especially melted. On anything!

Megs said...

Man, I remember that! Sounds good...except for the mold part...my girls would FREAK! I am sure that they would think I was trying to poison them! How did the kids react? :D

La Mujer Loca said...

Fondue--that's the ticket. Sounds so good. Bet you had a fun party.

Ginger said...

is there any left?

prRiggs said...

That sounds like a lot of fun, although I have to admit that I have a hard time with bleu cheese and the mold isn't even visible.