Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Farm

There's a place not too far from me that sells fresh milk. I saw a flyer at the health food store that advertised milk so I decided to check them out. As I was driving up there it really made me want to live on a farm. I have a friend who has chickens and have been thinking for awhile that I would really like to get some chickens too. We just don't have the space in our backyard, so it isn't really possible for us. (I don't really want to deal with chicken poo all over my yard and we don't really have space for a big enough coop.) So, as I was driving up to this farm and visiting it I really wished I could move up there and get some chickens. And maybe a cow. It made me laugh at myself for how crazy that sounded and how much different I am than I was just a few years ago. Kent grew up in a tiny town in Idaho where the hills roll on and on and the potatoes grow. I grew up in a suburb of Denver and always considered myself more of a "city girl". I never wanted to live in the middle of nowhere. Now I guess I do. I guess I kind of live in the "country" now only I don't get the benefits of having land. I just live in a place with no stores but Wal-mart and I still have a tiny yard and neighbors all around me. In my head I picture a nice house with a big landscaped yard and lots of fruit trees. I'd have a cow (that Kent would faithfully milk every day) and chickens and a huge garden. I am sure it would be tons of work and maybe I don't really want all that, but at the time it sure sounded nice.

The cows (Thanks for the milk girls! Moo.)

"Fred" taking a nip at Ian's leg. Fred is a mostly domesticated crow that lives at this farm. He's kind of a troublemaker, as you can see. The lady I bought the milk from said that once he took one of her kid's socks and put it up on the roof of the house.

Fred and me

The cute little farm puppies (that are for sale.... No, I still am not THAT crazy yet.)

1 comment:

leenie said...

It does sound crazy but I've always wanted to have farm animals too! Probably in much the same way I wanted cats...