It has been awhile since my Inner Blogging Voice (IBV) has spoken. I guess lately I haven't done anything out of the ordinary or crazy. Maybe the blogging "fire"just isn't there as much as it used to be. When my IBV speaks though, I need to listen.
I have been to Zumba at my local gym 2 times now. The first time my IBV was going WILD, but after I came home I didn't listen and I didn't blog about it. The SECOND time I went I remembered why I needed to blog about it. WOW. There are so many levels of blog-ability here.
Level 1: I do not dance. I do not do aerobics. Coordination really isn't my "thing" which is why I usually stick to things like running and yoga (which does require some balance, but not so much coordination). Latin dancing is completely out of my repertoire.
Level 2: There are a lot of interesting people to watch at Zumba. It can be pretty entertaining to watch a bunch of white girls (and a few Latinas) try to "shake it" like a Cuban. So far I haven't seen any men near Zumba except to gawk at us through the windows. I am sure there are some guys who strategically plan their workouts to coincide with Zumba. Either to laugh at us or to watch the "real dancers".
Let's just say that there are definitely many different levels of fitness and coordination. (It is a good thing there are too many people in the room for me to actually be able to see myself in the mirror. If I saw myself I don't know if I would ever go back.) I actually commented to a fellow "newbie" that I felt like I was at some cheerleading camp nightmare or something. People who don't have experience with Latin dancing, cheerleading, belly dancing or (exotic dancing/stripping) have a hard time with the moves. (Not kidding here. It is actually quite crazy and frightening how these types of dancing overlap. I have learned this from Zumba.)
And then of course, you always have a few classmates (okay one) who wear a THONG with sheer, tight-fitting-leggings that don't have QUITE a thick enough layer of fabric around the buttocks. Then they do exaggerated Latin maneuvers, shaking their hips and pelvises to and fro and you happen to be standing behind them. Yeah, there's always one of those.
Level 3: The instructor is about 6 months pregnant, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. There's nothing quite like pregnant belly dancing. Don't get me wrong, she's good, but the belly definitely does add a twist.
Level 4: It's dang fun. So, despite all the crazy cheerleading camp nightmare (and I say that not because there is anything wrong with cheerleading, but because if I was ever AT cheerleading camp it would be one of my PERSONAL nightmares because of my incoordination and ineptness), Zumba is really fun. Those Latins know how to have a good time and they have really awesome music. (SO much better than the usual TECHNO that all the other classes listen to.) I go to class and spend so much brain power working on the moves that I probably burn twice the calories. And it goes by so fast, I hardly feel like I am working out at all, besides my brain that is, which is working overtime. It is fun having a new challenge, and Zumba is my new challenge. Not that I ever think I'll ever be great at the "Latin moves" but I do hope that I will at least be able to get the steps down eventually.

1 comment:
You put that into words for me! I've been meaning to blog about it, but you just have to do it to understand! I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror once...I make sure I stand in the back SO that won't happen again. I'm much better in my head!
Post a Comment