After I finished the apron I started working on a "magic blanket" (think machine quilt) for Elise. As I was sewing I was thinking about blogging about my sewing projects this week. I thought I'd talk about my late friend Zora Mae who used to make magic blankets for humanitarian aid, general authorities, and even all the members of the Jazz team. My mom would take her to D.I. where she'd stock up on some great fabric and make tons of blankets even though she was 90 and legally blind. She taught my mom how to make magic blankets and my mom taught me. So there I was, sewing peacefully while my I.B.V. is rambling along about magic blankets and Zora Mae. Without even thinking I reached in to smooth the fabric or something and all of a sudden I felt pain in my finger and my needle broke. I looked at my finger and there was a thread completely through my finger and sticking out my fingernail. I called to Ian, who was in the room, to get my scissors for me since I was still attached to the thread. Right after severing myself from the spool I immediately (after freaking out: "AAAACCCCKKKKK, I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SEWED MY FINGER!") reached for the camera which was only feet from my sewing machine. Sad but true, I started thinking that when this ordeal was over I would definitely have to blog about it. Zora Mae and her blankets just got trumped by my unintentional body piercing experience.I called Kent and told him what I had just done. Then I called the Dr. and they said I could come right away. Since I was still in my pajamas I got dressed, put my hair in a ponytail and got ready to go. While I was waiting for Kent to get home I took advantage of the moment and took some more pictures. (All the other ones were a little too bloody and I didn't want to TOTALLY and COMPLETELY gross you all out....)
I got to the Dr. and was greeted by the receptionist who I had talked to on the phone. Some of the other office staff came over to look at my injury. When I was explaining that I had sewn my finger the office girl asked: "With a sewing machine?" Uh, no, actually I was sewing BY HAND and I started to poke my finger and instead of stopping I JUST KEPT ON PUSHING THE NEEDLE all the way THROUGH my fingernail before I realized it.... OF COURSE IT WAS WITH A SEWING MACHINE, DUH!
They took me to the back, took the ever important vitals and the Dr. came in. He looked at it and sort of tugged on it a little and I said, "Don't pull it out! I need some anesthesia!" He left the room for a second to get the shot and then came back in. He asked if I had ever had my finger numbed and I told him no. He said it was pretty painful since they have to do a nerve block and told me it would probably hurt less just to have the thread pulled out than have it numbed first. So I opted for the non-anesthesia method. They trimmed the strings, pulled it out and it was over. I got a Rx for an antibiotic, a tetanus shot and I was on my way.
I still cannot believe that I actually sewed my finger. All the way through. Everything had to happen just right in order for that to happen. I probably couldn't do it again if I tried. (NOT that I would be that crazy....) The needle must have been at the highest position and on the way down just as I was reaching in to do whatever I was doing. (Sorry, I am sure you are shuddering at the thought). I guess this is definitely classified in the "freak accidents" category. Now I just have to hope that my fingernail doesn't fall off. You'll be sure to hear about it if it does. Ready for the picture??? Here it is. Those who are squeamish better not look.


9 comments:
uh. Ouch! very ouch! that´s hurts to look at
Good gracious woman!!! That is completely your fault for being so darn crafty, things like that are bound to happen sooner or later to someone, it just happened to be you ;) Ok, for real, I hope you are doing ok and your fingernail does not fall off. Be sure to keep us posted.
Lisa, that is so disgusting! That looks very painful, and it actually makes me shudder. Can you please post the bloody, gory pictures now?
OWIE!
that is crazy that it went all the way through. yikes. (thanks for the awesome picture though, good job keeping the blog & your loyal fans in mind during your trauma.)
"with a sewing machine?" : was she seriously wondering if it was NOT done by machine? hello.
Holy crap! I would have passed out. Hope you feel better.
Ya, I still can't believe you did that to your finger. It makes me hurt just looking at it. Yikes!
Wow Lisa its nice to know that even perfect people have a accident every once in a while! When I was looking at your pic. Ashlyn said "What the Devil?" Apparently you really amazed her with your piercing skills!
Sorry about your finger but I am so glad you thought to take a photo!
Holy freakin' cow. I knew that sewing was dangerous..that is why there is a thick layer of dust on my machine...who knew I was so intuitive. tee hee. I am sure that really hurt, I am sorry that I wasn't there to feel bad with you! Just goes to show how crappy I am to not keep in touch better! Sorry, Love ya, Megan B
Post a Comment