Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 16: *&#$^!

Subtitle: Asbestos is evil
Sub-subtitle: We are all gonna die.

Yeah. So, where do I even start?

We had an asbestos inspector come the other day and take some samples of the old building materials in our house to test for asbestos. We thought that since we had scraped the popcorn ceiling in our living room 2 years ago we'd be fine in the carcinogen department. That popcorn ceiling ended up having 8% asbestos, which is a very high percentage. (Exposure incident #1. I can see the little fibers making their permanent home in my alveoli.)

We got the results today that we have asbestos (1%) in the vinyl glue that was used to attach the old flooring to the plywood. While it IS better than the 8% that is already in our lungs it is bad for several reasons. (Well, at least a thousand reasons financially speaking.....)

  • We were going to have all the residual glue sanded down instead of using a sub floor under our flooring. Since they can't sand it down now we will have to have a subfloor. This is going to put our flooring budget way over. (Bye bye granite countertops.)

  • Our builder guys are coming over today to clean up the floor, get it wet, and seal over the asbestos glue (which of course adds more time and money to what we have to pay).

  • We have to get the carpets cleaned in the whole house to get rid of all the construction dust and asbestos fiber floaties that have been tracked all over the house. (Exposure incident #2).

  • We have a huge construction dumpster in our driveway and when it is time to haul it away all of the suspicious material may have to be bagged in 4mm plastic bags, sealed and taken to a special bionic-asbestos-holding cell (or whatever). This of course costs much more than just taking it to the landfill. (Don't you know how expensive those bionic-asbestos-holding cells are to maintain????? )

  • Oh, and did I mention we are all gonna die because we have been living in a construction zone for the last 2 weeks with carcinogenic chrysotile asbestos fibers floating around???????

Ok, I just found this. Maybe we won't die from the floor stuff. Just the ceiling stuff.

3 comments:

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

What the crap?!

Well hey- if you *do* die, I will totally cater your funeral (for FREE!) and it will be the bomb. I promise.

And I'll wear the apron you made me in remembrance.

Megs said...

Yeah, and I will create the beautiful programs for the funeral with all of my scrapbooking goo- but because I am so slow perhaps I should start now. ya think?
Don't worry Lis, it will all be OK. In just a few years Josh can be your doctor at a greatly reduced rate! :)

Marcy said...

Oh NO! Please don't die. But if you do, *I* promise I'll move somewhere where they have a Costa Vida and I'd commit to eating their twice a week as a tribute to you.

Hang in there. Good luck with all the unknowns and decisions on counter tops.

I wish I had a money tree to give you to plant in your big backyard. Course if I had one, I might keep most of the fruits for myself, but don't worry, I'm not that selfish and I *would* share. I promise.