Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Applesauce Impulsivity

We have an apple tree. I think they are Macintosh apples. They have never been very good (because they are really sour) and they always have lots of worms in them *shudder*. I haven't really done much with my apples for these reasons. I had just kind of planned on not doing anything with these ones either and I hoped to get some free golden delicious apples from some neighbors. Well, I was picking up some fallen apples off the ground today and I was thinking that there were actually a lot of pretty decent looking apples at the top of the tree. I decided to pick some. Then I decided I should be frugal and domestic and not let my free (wormy) apples go to waste. I decided to can some applesauce.

At first I was cutting the apples in quarters and then cutting all the wormy cores out. I decided that I'd distract myself from all the gross worminess by counting how many worms I saw so I could blog about it. (My IBV has finally been speaking again.) After about about 5 mintues and 3 and 1/2ish worms I decided I didn't want to count anymore. I didn't even want to LOOK anymore. So I started just cutting off the sides that looked worm-free and not even going into the core. Much better plan.

This one got away. I am not sure how. It did have to die of course after I discovered it.

The finished product. Not all of them are pictured but I canned 12 quarts of applesauce. It only took me 5 hours. (What was I thinking???) My house is now a complete disaster. It was messy before but after letting the kids run free and wild (plus the extra kids I had over this morning) it was even more trashed. But at least now I know that when the end of the world comes (which could be sooner than later with the way things are going), I will have 12 quarts of applesauce for my family to eat. And it was free (well, it only cost me 5 hours). My goal this fall is to fill up all my empty canning jars with food.


I also got a few pears from a neighbor this afternoon to add to my applesauce. I found Adele eating a pear and I took it away from her. I turned it over in my hand and look! Ewwwww!

3 comments:

kristenita said...

I love this post!! You are hilarious. That is a lot lot lot of a'sauce.

tinybubbles said...

yeah!!! I'm so happy that you are feeling better! And Happy Birthday to Kent!!! Wish you guys were closer (or we were closer to you) so that I could have had a slice of that delicious gluten free pie! We miss you guys! (p.s. tell Kent we liked his goatee! Brian secretly wishes that he had the goatee on the cruise so that they could have matched!)

Michelle said...

Just caught up on all your posts! They were fabulous! Thanks for blogging. The applesauce looks amazing and I loved the stories about the kid's first day of school. Sorry about the garage door but awesome it didn't cost too much to fix and Happy Birthday to Kent! We miss you guys. Definitely need to come visit some time. I just got put on bed rest...=( for the rest of the pregnancy. Any ideas of what to do while I'm bored in bed???